Sr EH&S Specialist
151 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080
Sr EH&S Specialist
South San Francisco, CA
Senior EH&S Specialist
MUST HAVE - Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry, Engineering or similar Science or EH&S field from an accredited university.
Under the supervision of the Director of EH&S, this position provides general oversight and support the Environmental Health and Safety team.
- Manage safety programs, policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations including California Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Advise safety compliance concerns and preventative actions
- Provide guidance and support to researchers in areas such as: waste handling activities, interpretation of environment, safety and health regulations, the implementation of written and web-based requirements, the implications of significant modifications in procedures or equipment, and the resolution of occupational health & safety, industrial hygiene, and other environment, safety and health issues
- Plan, implement and maintain EH&S training for employees in work site safety practices via in person hands on training or via the learning management system.
- Perform safety surveys and inspections, prepares written reports of findings and recommendations for corrective or preventive measures where indicated and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented
- Helps maintain Chemical Inventory System and act as liaison for researchers for chemical classification questions
- Promotes an organizational culture that fosters EH&S excellence.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry, Engineering or similar Science or EH&S field from an accredited university.
- 5 years’ experience in the listed principal responsibilities in an operationally diverse EH&S environment.
- Certification as CSP, CIH, CHMM, or Professional Engineer is preferred.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office software, particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
- Superb interpersonal & communication skills with a confident, concise and clear style.
- Strong analytical and strategic problem solving capabilities.
- Familiarity with laboratory operations, basic chemical process equipment, BSL2 facilities or similar.
- Hazard Communication expertise with experience in SDS management.
- Experience with Industrial Hygiene techniques and ergonomic evaluations and improvements
- Proven organization, project management and time management skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Effectively communicate EH&S principles and requirement though a variety of training situations.
- Ability to recognize onsite risk factors and take appropriate action with firmness and tact.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of team.
- Understanding of and ability to acquire information, in order to stay current, on applicable federal, state, local and company regulations.
- The following items would be beneficial:
- Certified First Aid/CPR/AED Trainer
- CA-DOT/RCRA and Hazardous Waste Management Certification.
- OSHA 10 hour or 30 hour Certification
- 40 Hour HAZWOPER