Principal Scientist - Formulation Chemist
2121 Second St. Suite 107B Davis, CA 95618
Principal Scientist - Formulation Chemist
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Designs and develops lab and commercial scale biopesticides products comprised of microbial and other natural product Active Ingredients using inert ingredients with recognized low toxicity and minimal environmental impacts for the agricultural and water markets.
• Designs and conducts Stability Studies and Product Testing Procedures to insure formulations meet our commercial criteria. Key evaluations include efficacy, microbial, pH, physical (viscosity, dispersion, particle size, emulsion/suspension, etc.), compatibility testing (container, tank mix, etc.), and ASTM methods.
• Facilitates transition of experimental products to full commercial production such that cost, quantity and performance requirements are met.
• Participates in technical transfer of formulation processes to contract manufacturing facilities, including site visits.
• Produces and tracks product for field trials, process development and scale-up.
• Provide the Sales and Field Development organization technical support if issues and questions arise.
• Responsible for strategic and scientific planning together with other product development functions in R&D and manufacturing to improve processes and solve problems.
• Provides ongoing analysis of competitor products.
• Carries out discovery and evaluation of new or improved processes and ingredients and identifies their benefits to a wide variety of formulations to create new intellectual property.
• Stays current in the field of formulation to learn new techniques and methods.
• Represents Company to suppliers and vendors on proposed formulations, designs, processes, and procurement of necessary materials.
• Assembles and maintains testing and formulation equipment.
• Prepares laboratory notebooks, technical reports, summaries, protocols, and methods for the development of company’ s biopesticides products.
• May oversee the work of 1-4 chemists and student interns.
• Ph.D. degree in Formulation Science, Food Science, Polymer Science, Colloid and Surface Science, Organic Chemistry or related field with a minimum of 5 years of relevant industrial pesticide (or other related) formulation work experience, and supervisory experience a plus.
• Experience in development of bench and manufacturing scale agricultural pesticide formulations.
• High level expertise in aqueous solution chemistry with complete knowledge of pH, buffers, rheology, and phase transitions.
• Desirable experience with colloids, surface science, microbial derived-products, plant-derived products, biopesticides and dehydration technologies.
• Experience in carrying out of the following procedures is desirable: rheometry, particle size analysis, gravimetric analysis, microscopy, sieving, blending/mixing, wet/dry milling, coating, extrusion, lyophilization, spray drying and drum drying.
• Understands performance and ingredient requirements of regulated agricultural and household use pesticide products in North America and the European Community.
• Experience with regulations for biological pesticides is a plus.
• Experience in technical transfer of formulation process to contract manufacturing facilities.
• Self-directed, creative, energetic individual able to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Agility, speed and flexibility are desired traits.
• Strong communication and presentation skills; able to work effectively as part of a team.
• Excellent analytical, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
• Proficiency in writing technical reports.
• Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office.
Essential Mental and Physical Functions:
• Handling various chemical products, some of which have some level of hazard, such as solvents.
• A certain degree of manual dexterity to manipulate testing instruments and good visual acuity to withstand hours of testing observations.
• A fair amount of time sitting down and inputting test result data and writing up final reports on a computer will be required.
• An ability to lift 30 pounds is also required.
• Travel by commercial means, e.g., air, car, train may be required when necessary to meetings, conferences, etc.