Mechanical Design Engineer
200 Cardinal Way, 3rd Floor Redwood City, CA 94063
We are looking for talented, hard-working, and passionate individuals to develop ground-breaking DNA sequencing technologies and systems. Our work is multidisciplinary ranging from applied physics and engineering to life science and bioinformatics. We are looking for experts in circuit design, biosensors, fluidics, device design, DNA sequencing and surface chemistries, as well as business & R&D management.
We are seeking self-starters to join us on our mission to change the world of healthcare and diagnostics through accessible genomic information!
We are currently looking for a creative, talented, and productive individual to join the team as a 3-6 month, full-time contract Mechanical Design Engineer to design and develop DNA sequencing lab instrumentation workflow products. This is an exciting time at the company. If you have the desire to redefine the current paradigm of DNA sequencing, please apply.
- 7+ years of relevant post-academic experience doing detailed mechanical design of fully commercialized laboratory instrument products and injection molded consumables.
- Bachelor' s degree in mechanical engineering.
- Experience designing for low cost, manufacturability, and reliability.
- Excellent communication skills and initiative.
- A record of delivering on commitments.
- Bring the current prototype of a new automated workflow lab instrument product to the finished design, ready to transfer to manufacturing, addressing all issues and gaps identified in testing.
- Includes designing plastic, injection moldable versions of consumables and skins.
- Includes creating detailed part drawings, assembly drawings, assembly instructions, & BOM
- Includes hands’-on building and testing.
- You will use sound judgment, creativity, and experience with disciplined approaches to assess and mitigate risks while meeting ambitious timelines.
- You will work with a cross-functional team of mechanical, electrical, systems, software, and NPI engineers, technicians, chemists, and biologists.
- You will provide technical direction to suppliers, such as machine shops and injection molders.
Required Experience Details:
- Fully proficient in using Solidworks to create 3D design models and detailed drawings, including appropriate definition of critical dimensions and tolerances.
- Significant experience with designing plastic parts and enclosures for injection molding.
- Experience designing and developing temperature control, actuating mechanisms, cable routing, PCBA packaging, custom plastic and metal parts, and enclosures (skins).
- Experience with stepper motors.
- Experience with fluid handling.
- Broad knowledge of fabrication processes, tolerances, and corresponding typical applications, including, but not limited to: machining, sheet metal, plastic injection molding, and casting.
- Knowledge of manufacturing and prototyping processes.
- Experienced in DFx: Design for Assembly, Manufacturability, Serviceability, Low Cost, and Reliability.
- Good intuition and creativity, able to quickly produce low cost, reliable designs.
- Effective and clear communication and documentation.
- Record of delivering designs on an ambitious schedule that work the first time.
- Experience designing reagent cartridge consumables with foil sealing.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: