2100 Powell Street, 12th Floor
Industry: Information Technology
Job Number: 15979
Client Industry: Insurance
Location: Emeryville, CA
Position: DevOps Engineer
Terms: 6 months contract to hire
As a DevOps Engineer, you will use skills in Linux server technology on a virtual platform to provide engineering and architecture services for the design and deployment of a highly scalable and geographically diverse infrastructure to support business critical applications. You will also provide development support for Puppet configuration management, and automation of Java and Tomcat-based application servers and other core infrastructure.
- Collaborate with developers to bring new features and services into production, focusing on end-to-end automation for the deployment of new servers, new code, and new applications.
- Work with QA team to automate testing and test cycles.
- Provide technical leadership for Linux infrastructure design, performance, and configuration management.
- Responsible for source repository design, setup, and ongoing support to help ensure correct artifact versioning and control.
- Design and architect the Linux Infrastructure to support business needs, and address security compliance and requirements.
- Provide automation and tuning of enterprise Linux systems and applications through use of scripting, Puppet, and Ansible automation/configuration management tools.
- Provide technical leadership for deployment automation of all code releases utilizing Puppet, Ansible, Jenkins and other support infrastructure tools to minimize errors, outages, and deployment downtime windows.
- Provide support for various Java and Tomcat-based applications on the Linux platform.
- Oversee and assist team with internal application software code updates in multiple environments, from Development through to Production, following established change control process.
- Troubleshoot and provide break/fix support for hardware, operating system, and application software issues on the Linux platform.
- Define and deploy monitoring, metrics, and system logging; utilize monitoring tools to identify issues and resolve and/or escalate to Development.
- Provide escalation support for members of Operations teams.
- Provide ad hoc assistance as needed.
- Bachelor’ s degree in Computer Science, a related IT field or the equivalent work experience. Industry certifications related to position a plus.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience working within a diverse IT environment that includes direct experience with Linux engineering projects and architecture.
- Hands-on experience and expertise with GIT, Puppet, Jenkins/Hudson.
- Experience working with virtual infrastructures (preferably VMware vSphere).
- Experience working with Puppet or Ansible as a modern development management tool with a thorough understanding of configuration management concepts.
- In-depth knowledge of Linux (Red Hat/CentOS) administration and support, and multi-tier application production operations.
- Skill in scripting (e.g. Shell, Python, Ruby, or Perl).
- Comfortable with frequent, incremental code deployments with a grasp of automation tools, such as Puppet, Ansible or Jenkins.
- Ability to lead activities on release deployments based on agile development methodologies.
- Working knowledge of physical and virtual data centers, networking concepts, operating systems, DNS, and storage as related to a Linux infrastructure.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment with a diverse team of business and IT staff.
- Ability to effectively prioritize, execute and report status of tasks in a fast-paced, results-driven environment