Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
Redwood City, CA | Contract
Bayside Solutions is seeking a Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer to be a part of our Client’ s team in Redwood City. This is a unique opportunity to join a growing team of professionals who will have the opportunity to excel within a high-energy, small, focused team environment, maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting.
Our Company Bio: Bayside Solutions was founded in 2001, Bayside was recognized as one of the fastest growing professional staffing companies in Northern California. The numbers tell the story: We have close to a 100% client retention rate, 700% growth in four plus years and over 95% repeat business. Our dedication to building partnership relationships with both our clients and our recruits is the key to our phenomenal success.
You can find additional information on our company website at www.baysidesolutions.com.
Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
The successful candidate will be a creative, energetic, and career minded mechanical design engineer professional who will work with cross functional teams for designing and developing products and components.
- Opportunities to grow and develop within Drug Safety.
- Competitive compensation and work-life balance.
- This position is eligible for medical, vision, and dental benefits, paid sick time and 401k.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Lead the design of robotic platform and accessories for applications focused on console design, instrument manipulators, and instrument interfaces.
- Design and develop robust mechanical and robotic assemblies for a medical device that will be scaled to large volumes.
- Provide design, integration and test solution in a fast pace environment with a quick development cycle.
- Interface with vendors for component sourcing and fabrication.
- Assist in the development of manufacturing fixtures and instrumentation.
- Develop assembly and test procedures, validation and verification protocols and reports.
- Independently manage projects and outside consultants.
- Responsible for sustaining production (including new features, yield improvements, DFM, process related cost reductions, etc.)
- Maintains trained status for, and complies with, all relevant aspects of the Quality Management System to ensure product quality and support regulatory compliance.
- BSME required, MSME preferred. Minimum of 5 years of working experience with electromechanical systems designing for moderate manufacturing volume
- Proven experience of mechanism design, robotics and automation.
- Medical robotics a strong plus.
- Highly desirable for a product minded individual, ability to combine complex mechanical systems into a product that meets or exceeds patient and physician needs.
- Proven experience with design of electromechanical systems.
- Experience with motion control, position sensing, feedback loop algorithms, motors, different encoder types, brakes and linear actuators.
- Proven experience of drivetrains components such as gear trains, lead screws, splines, cams, linear guides, belts and pulleys.
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer to Manufacturing.
- Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms.
- SolidWorks (required)
- Strength in design analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of component manufacturing process (including machining, sheet metal, rapid prototyping, injection molding, casting, MiM, weldments, etc.)
- Mechanical design and analysis skills, including statics, dynamics, kinematics, strength of materials and stress analysis.
- Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability.
- Experience with designing hardware products in an FDA or other regulated industry; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis.
- Familiarity with IEC-60601-1 requirements a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written, oral) across all levels and organizations.