Senior Director, Business Development
Novato, CA | Contract
Bayside Solutions is seeking a Senior Director, Business Development to be part of our Client’ s team in Marin County. This is an opportunity to work with a local Biopharmaceutical company focusing on the developing and commercializing novel therapies for rare diseases.
Our Client’ s culture is highly collaborative, offers an environment that encourages employees to expand their knowledge in order to make a profound impact on patients’ lives. Their company has been recognized as one of the fastest drug developers in the industry and has also been recognized among the Top 10 World’ s Most Innovative Company’ s in 2015 & 2016.Their organization is fueled by their employee’ s passion and dedication to change the course of disease.
Our Company Bio: Bayside Solutions was founded in 2001, Bayside was recognized as one of the fastest growing professional staffing companies in Northern California. The numbers tell the story: We have close to a 100% client retention rate, 700% growth in four plus years and over 95% repeat business. Our dedication to building partnership relationships with both our clients and our recruits is the key to our phenomenal success.
You can find additional information on our company website at www.baysidesolutions.com.
Senior Director, Business Development
- An opportunity to join a patient-focused organization that is driven to develop, manufacture and commercialize medicines to treat life threatening conditions.
- Work for a company that is local to the bay area and recognized as a leader of innovation.
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
- This position is eligible for medical, vision, dental benefits, paid sick time, and 401K.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Reporting to the Head of Business and Corporate Development, the Senior Director, Business Development will serve as a key member of the Corporate and Business Development team, working closely with cross functional partners and the executive management team to advance initiatives that support the corporate vision and goals. These initiatives include buy-side activities, sell-side activities, and corporate strategy projects.
- The Senior Director will play a leading role for the strategic plans to enter and expand new business opportunities with a specific focus on rare diseases.
- This individual will also drive the business development process externally with biopharmaceutical companies targeting licensing/acquisition of key therapeutic assets, R&D collaborations, and related enabling collaborations.
- This role will include all aspects of developing a focused strategy and executing on it, namely: prospecting, prioritizing opportunities, evaluating, conducting diligence, transacting and implementing business and collaboration opportunities, working effectively cross functionally (e.g. R&D, commercial, finance, etc.)
- The Senior Director of Corporate and Business Development will be primarily responsible for search, evaluation, diligence, and transactions for assets / opportunities that advance product pipeline.
- Depending on candidate skills and business needs, focus may be early stage (preclinical and early clinical) OR late stage (mid-late clinical and commercial).
- This individual will work closely with others on the BD team with platform/TA specific knowledge, along with the Head of Business Development on select corporate strategy projects and select sell side projects.
- Maintain contacts and relationships related to external opportunities consistent with company strategy
- Be the specific disease area knowledge owner by understanding the disease biology, influential KOs, treatment paradigm, new and emerging therapeutics
- Conduct/manage primary and secondary market research as part of evaluating new product development opportunities. Generate revenue forecasts, P&L models, and NPV analyses for deals
- Attend scientific and medical conferences to stay abreast of new developments in key therapeutic areas
- Identify, develop and nurture scientific and business relationships within biopharmaceutical companies, academia, and other stakeholders
- Work with internal research, development, commercial and financial analytics experts on evaluation, due diligence and initial product development plan for proposed transactions. This includes supporting the overall product evaluation process, including clinical/scientific assessments, evaluation of the commercial opportunity, analysis of the competitive landscape, and financial modeling
- Develop valuation models for product development projects sourced externally.
- Help to manage internal due diligence process. Lead and manage cross-functional interactions with Clinical, Non Clinical, Commercial, Regulatory, Finance, IP, and Manufacturing, to conduct detailed evaluation process and prioritize and execute on transactions.
- In conjunction with evaluation team, prioritize and license best-in-class assets as basis for new therapies
- Participate in structuring and negotiation of term sheets and definitive agreements for licensing and acquisition transactions, working closely with Head of Business and Corporate Development
Summary of Qualifications:
- Post graduate qualification required. MD and/or PhD preferred.
- B.S. degree in biological sciences (e.g. biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, biomedical engineering) with MBA, and/or PhD and/or MD
- Extensive experience in a biotech or pharmaceutical company
- Experience in commercial organization or medical affairs in biotech / pharma
- Experience in top tier management consulting firm
- Robust understanding of the full drug development process, lifecycle management and commercialization of therapeutics
- Strong scientific/technical acumen
- Solid network and reputation in the biopharmaceutical arenas.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent leadership/influencing skills. Adept at managing internal stakeholders (e.g. R&D, commercial, etc.) and external communications
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects to meet business need
- Track record of driving from inception to execution including valuation, diligence, deal engineering and leading negotiations with particular emphasis with pursuing and closing “ buy side” value-creating deals with biopharmaceutical companies
- Intellectually curious
- A strategic thinker with outstanding business instincts who can help chart the course and translate into actionable, value-creating results for the company
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with the ability to make sound business judgments.
- An ability to embrace teamwork and collaboration.?
- Ability to influence
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity, strong executive presence and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment