Network Operations Manager
San Francisco, CA | Direct Hire
Role: Network Operations Manager
Location: San Francisco, California
This is VERY hands-on and technical role. The position will focus on the leading core functions of network and security support, implementation, analysis, maintenance, administration and reporting. This individual will be required to apply solid technical, business, and problem solving skills in any situation. Through initiative, leadership and teamwork, this individual will create productive relationships with business units and internal IT teams. They will exercise these responsibilities in compliance with client’ s policies and standards along with industry best practices.
- Manage day to day ticket queues, service-now, Jira
- Identifying, installing and maintaining upgrades to the network
- Develop training plans for FTEs and consultants
- Participate in Operations and Project meetings
- Partner with respective IT Leaders, end users, and business partners to solve complex challenges with innovative ways to connect
- Manage critical vendors, including AT&T, Wipro, Verizon, QTS. and service providers to ensure partnership and service continuity
- Utilize Network Performance Management tools that monitor utilization, predict capacity requirements, and manage inventory and configuration
- Provide technical direction focusing on continuous improvement and knowledge sharing
- Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory, life cycle management, and related documentation
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of a comprehensive vendor contact and escalation list
- Develop, refine, and document policies, processes, procedures, and associated network requirements and drive their implementation and use.
- Responsible for the development and standardization of alarm profiles for all network elements
- Reviews and monitors all system performance reports, scheduling necessary actions to avoid system degradation and customer service interruptions
- Responsible for MOPs relating to routine diagnostics, growth, and upgrade activity are accurately tracked and communicated
- Responsible for the development, documentation and communication all network activity
- Responsible for the development and standardization of NOC processes and procedures
- Responsible for the development and communication of reports for Network Health, outages, MOP' s and Routine Maintenance with upper level management
- Builds a high performance team responsible for maintaining Network stability and managing resolution including physical plant restoration
- Coordinate and conduct routine operational support meetings, which includes review of outages, training.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes recommendations for network improvements (identifying single point of failures, hardware improvements and/or diversification opportunities)
- Perform human resource management for team – develop goals, prepare IDPs (Individual Development Plans), and perform performance reviews.
- Coach and mentor senior and junior technicians to ensure personnel are working issues as efficiently and as accurately as possible in a team-oriented professional culture
- Facilitate escalations and troubleshooting calls.
- Design, review and approve application and network designs to ensure compliance with corporate security policies and security best practices
- Negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services
- Provide day-to-day support of the LAN, WAN, and WLAN network
- Perform scheduled and emergency network maintenance
- Manage and maintain network and security documentation through collaborative applications
- Proactively identify, isolate and resolve network problems to avoid minimal impact to the business
- Perform internal audits and reviews to ensure compliance with all security policies and procedures which includes internal penetration and vulnerability scans
- 8+ years of overall information technology experience with retail environment support
- 6+ years of experience with networking and security technologies with Business Analyst experience required
- At least 4 years' leadership and team building experience, including daily team management, acting as a mentor and encouraging professional growth, and pipelining and hiring strong team members
- Aruba Wireless Experience and knowledge of Fortinet and PAN Firewall is a big plus.
- Ecommerce Data Center support/engineering experience
- Network Engineering background with experience working in the NOC or managing a NOC is a big plus
- Experience with VPN technologies (both IPSec and SSL)
- Experience in WAN environments, installing and troubleshooting circuit problems (MPLS, OCxx, T1, DS3) and traffic shaping/QoS
- Familiar with Layer 3-8 troubleshooting
- Solid background in Layer 2 technologies (Spanning Tree, VTP, 802.1Q, Dynamic/Private Vlans)
- Knowledge of diagnostic networking tools (ability to read a packet capture)
- Knowledge of enterprise monitoring applications, including setting up Nagios monitoring
- Experienced in data network operations manager of mid/large / complex / mission critical data network environments, managing human resources, leading day to day operational functions (changes, outages), managing SLAs, control tests, work queues, and related reporting.
- Experience with forecasting and hiring.
- Bachelor’ s degree in technology related field or equivalent experience
- Flexibility in work schedule, off-hours for project implementation and 7 by 24 on-call support
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills required
- Must be results orientated, self-motivated and possess high-energy
- Relevant industry certification is a plus (CISSP, CCSP, CCNP, CCWP)
- Technical writing experience is a plus
- Strong understanding network security concepts, technologies and trends
- Experience in WLAN design, implementation and security (Autonomous and Lightweight)
- Knowledge in the following areas is a plus (load balancing, compression technologies, SOA applications, network software protocols)